prairie dog shooter<BR>If you shoot PD's from a bench , the 22BR would be hard to beat . But , if you shoot them like me , I like to lay on the ground and shoot everything in a 300 yd circle , then get up and walk and then lay down and shoot again . If you do that , you want a rifle that holds 4 or 5 in the magazine and neither the 22BR or 22PPC will function properly from a magazine . So while your theory is pretty good , I don't think it's very practical for 200 round + days of PD shooting . If you need a little more , go with Big Stick's suggestion of the 223 Ackley . You can blow out cases and kill PD's all at the same time .My buddy shoots one and I can tell you it's a real "over achiver" !! Just don't make something that's supposed to fun an ordeal or it wouldn't be fun anymore !! I use a couple of 223's for the close stuff and a 220 Swift for the long stuff and I have never felt I needed more gun . Of course 275+ is about my limit on the 223's and I use the Swift for anything from 275 to 500 but 90% of my shooting is inside the 300yd mark and your old 222 wil do a great job inside that range .<BR>bounty-hunter