Duped, at the end of the lost horse road there are two forks that each go to trailheads.

The north road fork goes to twin lakes and accesses the moose creek crail. The last 3 miles are really, really rough. You could possibly pull a camper to twin lakes but you would beat the hell out of it. Any early snow would really screw you on that last couple miles.

The south fork of the road goes to the bear creek trailhead. Which also has an outfitter. I think youd have better luck pulling a camper to there, but i havent driven it for years so i dont know what its like now. Snow is 10-12 feet deep up there eah winter and washouts are different each year.

Personally, I doubt youd get much good elk hunting from the lost horse road. Its one of those areas that looks good on a map because its so big and wild on a map, but in reality its just not very good elk country until you get way into idaho. Mucher further than dayhunting reach. Mostly rock up on the divide, but there are a handfull of elk that feel like living in our own version of yosetime park.

good luck.

Last edited by Hornsquatch; 01/25/08.