Originally Posted by Dan0859
Still looking at various scopes, I found a Nightforce scope, NXS 3.5-15x50, illuminated, with the NP1-RR reticle. How does that compare to the S&B Zenith 3-12x50, the Zeiss Victory 2.5-10x50, and the Swarovski Z6 2-12x50 illuminated models? The price difference isn't an issue for me per se, but I also don't want to spend an extra $700 without getting a corresponding performance/quality increase. Thanks in advance for the advice.

fwiw & imho,
I've had siginificant personal experience with the NXS 3.5-15x50 and the Schmidt Bender 3-12x50 Zenith and hence will limit my commentary to those scopes. In all honesty it is an apples to oranges comparison. A few points to ponder:

1. The Nightforce is Second Focal Plane whereas the Schmidt Bender is a First Focal Plane Reticle. I would ask which you are most comfortable with... If you like the FFP European Scopes with relatively heavy reticles go with the Schmidt Bender. If you like second focal plane reticles with extremely fine subtension reticles look at the NXS. Even though the magnification is similar the scopes are almost polar opposites...

2. Reticle Illumination: The Schmidt Bender Flashdot is superior illumination technology(AND completely different illumination). I would recommend that if you decide to go with a Schmidt Bender by ALL MEANS GET A FLASHDOT Reticle. The 3-12x50 has no side focus/parallax adjustment and hence has an excellent eleven position rheostat where the Side Focus would go...

The NXS has, quite possibly, the worst rheostat ever put on an illuminated rifle scope. You have to take the cap off the third turret(parallax) and use a Jewelers Screw Driver to change illumination intensity. Further it is a guess how much you've actually moved it as the the battery is on the cap and has to be reinstalled to check the illumination. In short the rheostat sucks...

The NXS also, imo, employs a poorly designed system of illumination in that EVERYTHING lights up at once. I have had several times where illuminated reticles have proven well worth the cost. That said, I've never needed to "mil" a target in the dark. The problem is that I can see the target but not the ultrafine reticle. If Nightforce would only illuminate the center of the reticle, or cross hair, it would be a far more usable system of illumination. As it stands the reticle distracts my eye and I lose a bit of nightvision and hence the opportunity on the target...

3. The Nightforce NXS is probabely the best paper target scope on the market today. It has excellent glass, crisp thin reticles, and the reticle is in the Second Focal Plane. The Schmidt Bender Zenith is a hunting scope that excels in low light at short to moderate range. The Flashdot is EXTREMELY intuitive.

4. If you ever plan to shoot Long Range and dope for windage and elevation the NXS is setup for that with extreme amounts of elevation and windage travel. The Zenith is typical of most European scopes in that it does not have nearly as much W&E travel. That said it was not designed for that market.

If you want the best of both worlds I would suggest a Schmidt Bender PMII. That said the PMII is bigger, heavier, far more expensive, and requires specialized mounting systems depending on the rifle platform. Also realize the PMIIs use an entirely different, but excellent, mode of reticle illumination...

fwiw & imho

Regarsds, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member