Jeff,

Finally had to break down and post on this thread as it has kept going on and I've really enjoyed watching your enthusiasm and obvious love affair for your 338! I wanted to add fuel to your 338 WM fire! My experience with the 338 WM as an elk thumper is usually during the rut here in Idaho when the bulls can occasionally come running at you and you need to take a frontal brisket shot and the larger frontal area on the 338 combined with the penetration gives me more confidence and does a number on these aggressive bulls !

The attached picture was a very heavy Selway �Suicide� herd bull that tried to run my wife over and she dumped him at 30 yards with a 225 Swift A-Frame at 2,950! This was September hunting during the rut before the wolves and lots of elk and for some crazy reason that year the bulls were more aggressive than I'd ever seen. The week earlier I had an almost identical experience in Meadow creek off the Selway. I had called a big bull in for her and we weren�t in a good vantage point for the shot, which can happen. When the bull came running towards us we didn�t see him until he was at about 10 yards away and she missed him at 5 yards with the shot going very high in the air!

So the next week we were in a different location and my wife was still a bit nervous from the previous week so I was glad when we had the 338 WM and the strong A-Frame to hit him coming straight at her.

Glad you feel comfortable with the recoil, as my threshold is a hot 225�s as the warm 250�s are a bit too much of a good thing at least for some of us without a muzzle brake. I�ve been using the 225 accubond and it is very accurate, flat shooting and lethal for elk. Lots of options and keep up the passion for this mighty round!
[Linked Image]