Originally Posted by safariman
I hunted with 300WBY for along time and liked it alot. Killed lots of stuff with it. Came upon a great deal on a Winchester model 70 classic in 300RUM and gave it a try. The rifle has been very deadly and on Elk, Black Bear, Kudu, Eland, Zebra and lots of other stuff over the past three years and I have been very impressed. I use a 180TSX at about 3350 fps. BUT...... the danged thing is LOUD! And, I am not at all sure the extra 100-150fps is worth the noise. I have been contemplating re-barreling it to 300WBY. 30grs less powder per load, less noise and I am thinking that a 180TSX at 3200fps will, as we say, git 'er done. As a current 300RUM user and lover, I say go 300WBY. If you need more than that, you need a 340 or a 375 of some persuasion. (I have those, too smile )

"30grs less powder per load"

you are out of your mind if you think the RUM uses 30 grains more powder- more like 6-7 grains more!

I have a 300 WBY reamer without the Freebore. It is cuts a very accurate chamber, BUT- it also creates a lot of pressure with ammo designed to be shot in a standard WBY chamber.

Out of a 26" barrel. Factory (Hornady bullet) WBY 150 grain loads chrono 3710 out of two rifles chambered with this reamer. Not a good plan! I have to down load a few grains and give up precious little in velocity to get great accuracy. If I chamber any more rifles with it, I will throat them deeper as I think this is a recipe for trouble if the rifle gets into the wrong hands.

There is NO practical difference between the 300 RUM and the 300 WBY.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.