[quote=h_broemel]
"As a rule of thumb one should use rifle magnum primers with spherical powders with a burning rate comparable to H414 and slower and slow extruded powders like 4350 and slower with cartridges of high capacity."

HB,
What is concidered "cartridges of high Cap." ie, the total amount of powder used to the bore size etc, as an example, 22 cal with 60grs+ or 30 caliber with 80grs+ powder capacity etc, or cartridge shape or some other value?

"For handgun cartridges H110, WW296 and Ramshot Enforcer are candidates for pistol magnum primers."

Does case shape,size or amount of powder used, indicate when to use magnum primers?

At this time I am shooting a wildcat in 17 caliber with 12grs or less of WW296, H110 and Ramshot Enforcer powders using Rem 7 1/2 primers only and these are some of the best loads so far, as for accuracy/fps etc.

I would have not considered using a magnum primer under these conditions, using the above powders in a case this small,(5.7x28mm FN).

"Empirical tests with all the primer-powder availabe have not shown that magnum primers are responsible for higher pressures. Sometimes they produce higher pressures, sometimes even lower.
Over the years primer behaviour changes - so there it is impossible to predict their influence on pressures."

I for one greatly appreciate your time and responses in ref to QL questions. Thank you.
Don

"When the going gets tough,
The tough get going,
Only the weak,bitch,gripe and die"
173rd ABN,2/503 "Recon" VN 67-68