Downwind

The checkering is done after finishing like every other finish. I once worried a lot about sealing the checkering, but now I simply rub in a little finish with a toothbrush and have not had a problem. The epoxy actually gets in quite deep and the results say it is possible the seal is not broken with reasonably fine checkering.

The finish you see is whatever you put on top. An oil finish over the epoxy looks like a regular oil finish with perhaps a bit more depth... The soft look of finely polished oil looks good this way. I prefer varathane 66 over french (or other lighter colored varieties) rather than Tru-oil. The yellowing that Tru-oil does is a little distracting.

Do not listen to the hype that surrounds various oil-based finishes. The differences are all in compromises over how they are applied and dried. If they are not pure oil (and they WILL say so if they are) they are a mixture of oil, waxes, resins and solvents. Each element is there to highlight some aspect of the finish application because is service there is not a nickle's worth of difference between.

Most of the biggest differences are based on extending the shelflife. ALways buy in very small containers and use a fresh container for a new stock and you will save yourself money and grief.

If you would like to call and chat about the process give me a PM for a number or send your's with a good time to call.

best to you

art

Last edited by Sitka deer; 11/17/03.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.