Well, the local range for me is the NRA -- 50 yards max. My scope mounting and collimating skills are pretty lousy... the first shot was 5 inches low and 5 inches to the left. Geez! I fired one round at a time for five rounds and walked the shots to zero, then let it cool for about 15 minutes. The next two shots were without any adjustments, and they were touching, but the third was about a half inch to the left. My bench rest skills are pretty lame, so I don't have a real sense for if that flyer is me or the barrel. I was shooting 150 Grain Remington factory loads. Just for grins I fired a couple shots standing unsupported, and the shots were within a couple inches of the x ring. Given that I ain't exactly steady as a rock standing unsupported, I am confident I can snap shoot at a standing deer out to 50 yards. The recoil is not ugly, even from the bench. It seems a couple tads more than my 280, but not so punishing as to develop a flinch, provided I keep the round count low. I fired a total of 10 shots. The rifle is the Ruger M77 Mark II walnut stock with the hard rubber recoil pad. The scope is one of Gr8fulDoug's Vortex 3-9x40 Vipers. I am really pleased with the scope, it is nice and bright. After shooting this rig I am more convinced than ever that all I really need for deer is my 7x57, but shucks, this is my only 30 caliber other than a 30-30. For me the 300 RSAUM is a keeper.

Last edited by Dogger; 05/01/08.