You could probably train the coppers to be a bit more sensitive to the emotional needs of others...
You just have to ask yourself WHY oh why are they "always prepared", "just in case", "armed to the teeth"....
I would like to think that crime has been steadily increasing over the past 50 years, especially gangrelated crime in metropolitan and even urban areas. The cops had to adapt, both to fight crime and to survive, physically and emotionally.
This culture bred a different generation, which is now admitting some of its own into the force.
So, I theorize that the drastic change you see in the force in big cities is due to larger, more complex social and demographic changes in our society. I would also state that you cannot ask the coppers to be more understanding, softer, and all that, while their opponents stay at the same level they were at before. Remember, these cops are trying to fight crime in some very tough areas, and very tough times. Some of you are asking them to drop their guards. I understand the problem of innocents getting killed, harrassed, misjudged by the legal system. And yet, this is a result from increased crime and much lowered moral values in our society. This is a much more complex problem than "ugh! Cops are brutal and all bad!"

Proverbs 1:7 - The Fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.