Probably a couple dumb questions, but I like my face where it's at, so I'm going to ask anyway.

I should be getting my .338-06 back from the smith here soon, so I'm trying to get my ducks in a row, and get starting loads figured out.

Initial Components List:

225gr .338 Nosler Accubond
Resized .35 Whelen R-P Cases
CCI 200 LR Primers
RE19

Now, going through a couple loading books (Nosler #4 and Speer #13), the Nosler lists the 225 accubond max loads as two or three grains lower than the Speer starting loads. Digging deeper, it seems Nosler used resized .30-06 brass and kept the pressure level to the 60k PSI of the .30-06 since the pressure data was established prior to the adoption of a SAAMI spec for the .338-06. The Speer loadings are set using the Speer 225 SPBT which is a bit shorter than the accubond, which leads me to my questions.

Is it safe to back the Speer loads down a grain or so and work up using that data since the only component I'm changing is the bullet, or should I start with the Nosler minimums, even though the only common components are the bullet and powder, and work up?

As a side note, it should be understood, this will be the first cartridge I've started from ground zero with, and I'm fairly new to reloading over-all, so any help or ideas is appreciated.