The pre-war 99R's are more sought after, since they are lighter and less common than the postwar 99R's. However, pretty much any 99R in anything but 300 Savage would be desirable because there just aren't many of them.

Overall, 99EG's in 300 Savage are the most common configuration you run into. The 99R in 300 is probably close to second. So, unless it's got a LOT of condition you won't see a lot of fighting over either one. Pre-war 99R's are a lot less common just because the economy wasn't too good in the 30's, and so they are pretty popular in any caliber. The pre-war 99EG's were uncheckered from 1935 to 1939, but they still don't bring a premium.

Somewhere I have a 1937 factory catalog which shows the 99EG and the 99R to be the same weight. I have to believe the post-war 99R is heavier, but I have no source or rifle to weight.

First, here's a forearm for a pre-war 99R. Note the lines at the front of the forearm. The forearm is also no wider than the receiver.

[Linked Image]

Now, here's a 99EG with a schnabel forearm. The buttstocks are all very similar, though the 99R will have a fluted comb on the buttstock and the 99EG won't.

[Linked Image]

Now, here's a forearm for a pre-war 99R, a 99T, and a post-war 99R. The 99R after WWII had the forearm wider than the receiver, and thus you get a slant to the forearm in front of the receiver. Similar to the pre-war 99T, but the slant is longer and the checkering is different.

[Linked Image]