Took out the Ruger Carbine 44 again and shot into hard packed catalogues. Penetration of the 240 grain bullet was 4.5 inches which doesn't sound like much but this is a really tough medium. The bullet expanded down to the base but the inward copper tongues at the front of the bullet as the jacket folds over the point act as a core lock and so the retained weight was 176 grains. Expansion was lopsided and close to an inch at the widest point. Impact velocity was about 1600ft/sec.

Groups at 100 yards are in the 2MOA range which is excellent for this type of gun!
Lil Gun is an excellent powder for use in the carbine!

This is not a bad hunting bullet. As a test a 6mm 115 Barnes original at 2700 ft/sec penetrated 5.5" and weighed 64 grains. This bullet will exit a quartering caribou most of the time.

As I need to use jacketed bullets in the gas operated carbine I have ordered some 250 grain Nosler Partition H.G's. I think less expansion and more penetration is what I want for defensive use on bears. For deer or caribou though I'd give these SIL-CL's a whirl. In a handgun at 400ft/sec less velocity the SIL's would likely penetrate better and expand less.

Last edited by North61; 06/15/08.