One needs some good chisels, gouges, barrel channel scrapers, rasps, maybe a chain saw file, a level or two, some straight edges, a vice, a plane or two, some inletting black and a brush, some oil stones for sharpening tools, and sandpaper and finish of choice. With patience, one can indeed do a fine job of fitting and finishing. My last was a Richards 90% and I put in about 50 hours to final finish. It's truly an OH WOW! stock. It's glass bedded bottom and top, but not floated. With a bore sighter installed, I can attach the stock and torque down the screws, and there is no apparent change in the scope/bore sighter alignment. Fit is indeed very tight, but no stresses are induced.

Given the machining variation among units, a true drop in stock will have lots of spaces where there should be none. They will likely need some glass work if one is finicky about bedding. I have two units that need stocks and they will begin as blanks.

If you do not enjoy wood work, then one should likely find a drop in. Fitting and finishing one your self will foster an appreciation for why good stockmakers demand and get big bucks. Now that I've tackled that job though, I am not happy with the out of the box fit for most of my commercial units. The only one that has really fine fit and finish is a Shiloh Sharps, and I did pay big bucks for that one.

Again, if you have an interest, I'd encourage taking it on. If one is in a hurry though to have a usable unit, then look for a drop in plastic. Take care, 1Minute

1Minute