I rescently purchased an H&R Ultra Hunter in 45-70 and must say it's a neat little rifle, more than I expected for the price. It has a 24" Stainless hvy bbl with a thumbhole laminate nutmeg stock. I was quite surprised that the stainless finish was not cheap looking in appearance, I expected it to have brush/polish lines similar to many cheap stainless rifles, but it has a very nice dull grey bead blasted finish. The trigger wasn't to shabby at all, it broke clean at 4lbs.

I bought this for a family member that wanted to use a 45-70 in our "Primitive Weapons" season, which now allows break action single shot rifles (Cal must be .38+) with a design prior to 1900.

I purchased the rifle, a Leupold 3-9x40 VX2, Rifleman Weaver style rings, and 3 boxes of Hornady Leverevolution 325grn for $796 total.

Here's a few pics:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I mounted the scope, cleaned the bbl, and fired 9 rounds at the range. I fired 3 to get it somewhat zeroed and the pic is of the first 3 shot group. I lowered 5 clicks and 2 clicks right, which gave one shot 2" high and touching the right side of the center line and the next shot touching that hole on the left side of the center line. I then fired 2 shots at 205 yards which were both 6" low.

Before I fired the rifle I was thinking it was going to recoil unpleasantly as I had heard the Handi 45-70s were hard kickers. I must say I was wrong, this thing is a breeze to shoot and has no more percieved recoil than your average 30-06. I could easily shoot this rig for hours.

If any of you are looking for a inexpensive and accurate 45-70, definitely give this rifle a look.

Reloader7RM