I was over on the Bench Rest Central Forum and saw a 3 page thread (which is an unusually LONG thread for those guys!) that began as an inquiry into which cartridge folks thought was more "inherently accurate".
As often happens on these Ford vs. Chevy type issues the thread started to include personal attacks and bizzarro tangents.
I would like to know what cartridge the average Varmint reloader has obtained the best accuracy with when comparing similarly set up Rifles and scopes?
Currently I am shooting 6 Varmint Rifles in caliber 222 Remington and 9 Varminters in caliber 223 Remington. In addition I have probably owned and shot another 10 Rifles in these two calibers that have since "gone down the road".
In my experience (opinion) I feel the 222 Remington is capable of slightly better accuracy (short range accuracy at 100 and 200 yard distances).
I base this on extensive notations and range results I have obtained and stored in my Handloaders Log over the decades.
And I am so brash as to even "quantify" my opinion in the form of how much better the 222 Remington will shoot in comparable Rifle/scope set-ups than the 223 Remington!
Here goes - I feel the 222 Remington cartridge on average, will produce groups that are 5% smaller than what a comparable Rifle/scope rig will make when shooting the 223 Remington cartridge.
Having said that I must disclose that fairly recently I shot the smallest group I have ever made with an all factory stock Rifle - and that Rifle was chambered in caliber 223 Remington!
This "one of a kind" 5 shot 100 yard grouping measured .121".
This group was made with a Remington XR-100 in 223 Remington.
My 5% smaller grouping estimation for the 222 Remington vs. the 223 Remington admittedly is not much of an accuracy advantage or edge in the field, and certainly in the world of Varminting the 223's velocity edge may make it the preferred cartridge to use as an "all around" Varminter.
Still I am miffed that the fine folks at the Remington Arms Company have left the fine and accurate 222 Remington "out in the cold" these days!
Many other arms companies have let the 222 Remington slip through their bean counters cartridge lists.
I remember seeing Ruger #1-B's in 222 Remington and Winchester made some post 64 Model 70's in 222 Remington as well!
I still own a wonderfully accurate Sako Varminter in 222 Remington but I don't think they still produce a Varmint Rifle in 222 Remington.
Shame those losses!
Maybe I have answered my own concerns - the factory Rifles show me that the accuracy edge is so small for the 222 Remington and the performance edge is "big" enough for the 223 Remington that the factory folks have rationalization enough to opt for the 223 Remington chambering only, anymore?
Still, on my "bucket list" (before I die) is the gnawing want (need?) for a full blown custom Varminter in caliber 222 Remington!
I have a wonderfully accurate Remington 40X-BR in caliber 222 Remington. With 24 power scope it has made many groups (5 shots at 100 yards) in the high 1's and low 2's. This Rifle is a joy to shoot.
I'd be interested in others opinions one way or the other as to which cartridge is more accurate for them - the 222 Remington or the 223 Remington.
Long live the 222!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy