The best tool I have found for finding the lands is the R-P Products C.O.L. E-Z Check tool shown here with the Hornady Gauge
[Linked Image]

It is essentially a steel rod with 2 collets with set screws. You just insert the rod in the muzzle to the bolt face and lock the rear collet
[Linked Image]

then insert the bullet into the lands and hold there (the Hornady tool makes a good tool for this), and insert the rod to hit the bullet tip and lock the front collet
[Linked Image]

and measure between the collets.
[Linked Image]

The Hornady tool will give you false readings since you insert it to where you have contact at the shoulder. There will be a difference because the bolt will hold an actual case further back. A solution to this is to drill and tap one of your own fired cases that has developed a crush fit.

The R-P tool contact info is r_reeves61bellsouth.net or (318)424-7867 the last time I checked. I got mine several years ago and I think the price is still $25.00, but I haven't checked lately. Essentially it is a commercial product that accomplishes the same thing as marking a dowel or cleaning rod, except with much more precision.

BTW, seating a bullet in a tight necked case to the lands may work but the lands have a habit of grabbing the bullet and pulling on it. Just something to watch for.

Last edited by woods; 09/07/08.

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens