Originally Posted by stubblejumper
When you sell ten times more full size trucks than Toyota, yes, a market unfriendly to full size trucks is going to hit the market leaders harder. Toyota just had a model change. F-150 hasn't had one in a few years, that will effect % sales decreases as well.

Obviously if you sell more trucks,a market slowdown will result in a greater reduction as to the number of trucks selling,but it should effect the entire market by a similar percentage.The percentage numbers posted prove that this isn't the case.

Further if you take the total number of trucks sold this year compared to the number sold by the same time last year,and compare the number sold by Toyota,Toyota has actually increased their percentage share of the sales.

As well,the 2007 Tundra was the first true full sized pickup ever offered by Toyota,so they have only been selling a true full sized truck for about 1-1/2 years.Look at the head start that the other companies had in building a client base.Toyota is certainly not going to challenge the other companies as far as total truck sales are concerned for at least several years.but the fact is that their market share percentage is increasing while the opposite is true for GM,Ford and Dodge.

No it shouldn't, notice I mentioned that the F-150 which had the largest decrease, also had the most stale design. Toyota which had the newest design, had the lower decrease in sales % wise. It is a factor and has been as long as truck sales have been compared.

No, that is factually incorrect, Toyota has not only been making full size trucks for 1.5 years. Yes, the T-100 was a full size body on a modified small truck frame BUT the Tundra has been around since 2000. I seriously looked at a 2000 as I liked the styling pre 2007. They were essentially a carbon copy size and styling wise of the 1997-2004 F-150. How you can claim they were not a full size truck is beyond me.

[Linked Image]