Originally Posted by David_Walter
I have a stock, and Wally World is selling accutrigger 243s in Lacey for $377. I figure $300 for the barrel. That's around $800 all up minus the 243 barrel (50) and the original stock ($35).

Say $750 when the smoke clears.

So if I understand correctly, you're going to go with a Savage action. You mentioned you have a stock. Which one? Sounds like the only thing you have left to decide on is which barrel to use. With a Savage action, I would go with one of the pre-threaded and chambered barrels and buy the action wrench, barrel nut wrench, and headspace guages, and mount it myself. With this setup, have as easy a switch-barrel setup. If you wanted to shoot a 22-250 for a while, buy the pre-threaded and chambered barrel and headspace guages, and screw it on. Pac-Nor will sell you a pre-threaded and chambered barrel. That kind of flexability is hard to ignore, especially when you add in that you can change out the bolt head on a Savage action, and move to a .223 based cartridge, if you are willing to shoot it as a single shot...

As far as targets and long range hunting, I have a #5 barrel on my .308, and it is a GREAT compromise between portability, balance, and repeatable, consistent accuracy. My McMillan stocked 700 with its 22" #5 Krieger comes out at 8lbs, 14oz with socpe. Easy to carry, easy to shoot well...

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14