I have an opening for a .257 in my life. I have been less than exstatic about my 257 ultralight. in fact I sometimes miss the 2 bit it replaced, the bug holer I called it. I have been lookking long and hard at the 25's and I come up with the vanguards, and coopers as guarenteed accuracy. I know there is a big cheddar spread between em' but I think I can shell out 3/4 of 2 grand if it will let me sleep at night.

pretty much I require a rifle that will shoot into at least the .6's and handle reasonably. I hunt with synthetic guns and I am not really a proponent of safe queens. I buy them to hunt with. I often am away on backpack hunts for 2-5 days so weight is a concern and reliability is paramount.

my 257 has taken deer, elk and bears but when I shoot paper it just makes me mad.

so what are my options for a 15huny-ish shootin' iron that is quarter bore, reliable, accurate and handles well.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.