I have processed my own for about 15 years. I use a buck 110 folder and/or buck fixed drop point for field dressing and rapala fillet knives for processing. Haven't found a knife that beats a good sharp fillet knife for boning out game yet. Main thing is to have a nice safe sharpener to use regularly.

What I like best about the fillet knife is the flexibility of the blade to follow contours and its lightweight.

If meat is not firm and you want to cut nice steaks, placing the cut in a freezer for a bit and then cutting it works well. For cutting steaks, etc... I use a good quality kitchen knife.

A wash basin with warm soapy water to clean hands and blades regularly while processing makes it much more enjoyable.

I put a piece of plywood over saw horses then tape waxed butchers paper over it so I have a nice clean surface to work on. I replace the paper as needed. I do same cuts (ie. hindquarters) back to back because its faster for me. Having work surface high enough is important otherwise its very uncomfortable (my back gets sore if its too low).

Have fun.

Last edited by muskybite; 10/06/08.