Jason280.

I have Weaver Pivot mounts on many of my tapped 99's. I have never had a problem with the guns losing their "zero" when the scope is pivoted to the side and returned to the top (locked) position. Many people dislike these mounts because there is the possibility that the scope could be jarred from its locked position and there's nothing worse than pulling a rifle up and having the crosshairs canted because the scope is not locked. I just check the scope before leaving the house or car (depending on the situation) to make sure it's locked, just as I make sure the scope magnification is set to a lower power, so I don't pull the rifle up to find it on 9x power. Snaping it in to place does make a "click" noise and it's something I prefer not to do in my treestand while hunting.

My brother prefers shoot thru bases (i forget what brand), so he can switch to open sights without having to pivot the scope. I don't like them because i feel they put the scope too high on what is normally a low profile, relatively sleek rifle.

Still others prefer the one piece (Leupold, Redfield, etc.) scope mounts which are surely the strongest, but offer no option for open sights should the need arise (at least without breaking out a screwdriver).

I hope this helps. If you decide not to keep them, you could always sell them on ebay for about $20-25 for the rings and bases. Good Luck & happy hunting. -TomT

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"