I have an older Red Label in 12 gauge. It's choked IC / Mod with 26 inch barrels. It also has the nicest wood I've ever seen on a Ruger. I bought it used for $650.00 several years ago. It is my skeet, quail and dove gun of choice. I have also shot turkey and geese with it (when I didn't have another 12 gauge to use).

Yes, you could use it for everything if you want. I have, but I prefer my 870 Express Magnum for turkey and waterfowl. It's just more comfortable for that use.

I have heard some disconcerning things about quality control problems with the new Red Labels. But mine has had tens of thousands of rounds through it with out a hiccup.

If you want an over/under and that's going to be your only shotgun for a while, then go for it. There's nothing wrong with that. BTW- all the scratches on mine got there while quail hunting. In my opinoin if you are afraid to take a gun hunting because it might get scratched - you paid too much for that gun.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775