Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I am thinking about getting a Mossberg 535. I thought I would ask here from the guys who have to fix these things:

What problems/weaknesses have you seen in the Mossberg pump shotguns? Are they inherent to the design, or simply poor execution? Are they easy to fix?
They're a good work-a-day shotgun for the bux.. The main problems I see are worn action arm/shell latch surfaces that wear with use and cause misfeeding issues.. If you're lucky, sometimes the interface surfaces can be 'dressed' to get the firearm back into full function.. If you're NOT lucky, at least the shell latch will need a replacement; many times that plus the action arms need replacing.. Total, about $40-50 bux or so..

shooter42 does make good note of the trigger group items.. As long as you replace the trigger group in the receiver with the action fully closed, it should go in easily.. But BE GENTLE! If it feels like it's binding or resisting, back off, check inside for everything in place before trying again..

If the tabs do break off, there's a procedure to mill a groove, then install an aluminum replacement bar in the plate and fix the problem. That's about $30.. I've done a few over the years..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!