What a season, warm and absolutly no snow. mad

Even with less than typical conditions we manged to fill a few tags.

My Daughter was hunting for her first season. She has practiced very dilligently with her little 7mm-08 NEF single, and she did'nt disapoint.
On the 1st she got her very first big game animal. A nice fat whitetail doe at 200yds. A single shot put the doe on the ground. She was jumping up and down pumping her fist in the air shouting " I got her!, I got her!"
[Linked Image]

I had to work from the 4th to the 11th, and got picked up at a gas station along the way home by my good buddy Dave. He was up on a Hunter Host hunt from British Columbia.
My whole family was there, except my Daughter who was studying for a test. Including my 9 yr old son. Everyone took their respective stands My wife going to a good over watch spot.
Dave going to a long established blind, and my Son and I going to another property to try some rattling.
For the first time in almost 30 yrs I finally rattled in a deer. a small basket racked 4x4, but none the less sucess on that front.
In the middle of the following week I filled my mule deer doe draw, when a band of does and fawns made a trip to a hay field while Dave and I were waiting for some whitetails to show.
Then on the morning of the 15th my Daughter and Dave went and took stand by a stack of hay bails my Cousin had. While I posted my wife at a very good game crossing about a mile and a half North of them. I left in the truck to see what a road tour could un cover as deer activity so far was pretty slim.
I circled the block once after dropping everyone off and saw a buck run up towards my Cousin's house as I braked he simple folded.
As I glassed the motionless buck, my Daugher called me on my cell all excited to say she just shot at a buck and it ran up over the hill. Ah ha I said I know where he is. She said "where did he go" I said "oh a very long ways" "how far" she said loosing her enthusiasm. About 80 yds I guess I replied. "what" he's dead up over here by the road, I finally told her.
I heard her phone hit the ground as she could be heard yelling to Dave "Dad says he's dead at the road"
[Linked Image]

An 80 yd shot and the patty cake 130 Speer's did'nt disapoint.

That evening my wife filled one of her Supplimental antlerless whitetail tags while we hunted on a local public grazing preserve.

Finally on the 19th it was Dave's turn to fill a tag. We had sat a few likely spots and came up with nothing, we drove to a spot I call "the crossing" and we had a coffee and talked about what to do next.
at 166yds his buck just walked out.
He put his coffee down and layed into him with a 130 Partition form his 270 Win. Ruger No. 1. I watched the buck go about 50 yds and drop in the open bush on the other side of "the crossing"
[Linked Image]

I filled my supplimental tag on the 25th with my 358 Win BLR on a full sized model at about 60 yds, she went 60 yds and we found her no problem in the bush.

Then this morning after checking game cameras the day before I decided to sit one of my long established tree stands on my Cousin's place. at 8:28 this morning after tooting on the grunt tube a few times a letting out a couple estrus bleats I heard a deer walking in from my left. He walked out onto the slash line about 50 yds down and right behing a craggy ol alder limb. As I tried to get an angle on him right handed (I'm a lefty) he trotted off obviously seeing me moving about. Frick....

I grabbed my grunt tube gave a couple toots.
Guess who walked back onto the line but in a bit better spot.
And I was ready standing up this time, and let him have it in the back of the neck at 50 yds with the 358 Win again.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Portsider284; 11/26/08.

Just remember.
You cant have SLAUGHTER,
without LAUGHTER