I got out the stones to buff up some planer blades (building a stock) and did another half hour on the ulu while I had things on the table. It's almost there, and I think another half hour will have it shaving sharp. After that it should just be a maintenance deal.

Last year, before I elected to spend serious dough on one, I asked on this site if it was just a localized gimmick or had some serious utility. Opinion leaned heavily toward the utility side. If a design hangs around for a couple of hundred years, there is usually something to it. Years ago I was seeing dozens of boning knives in the Bahamas that were sharpend down to almost ice pick dimensions and was wondering why such a dangerous implement would be retained. Turns out they are not worn knives, but the perfect too for extracting conchs from their shell (one of the ugliest, but most tastie critters I've ever seen).

Presently I don't see much use in an ulu for bone splitting, but for skinning larger critters, I think it just might be the cat's a$$. I'll wait and pass judgement next fall. Likely it will be the only one in camp, and half of the fun in life is learning new sh-t. 1Minute

1Minute