That Wild hog was shot in Tennessee in Monroe county. It was a big hog even for the locals who had hunted their whole lives there.
I was asked to do a presentation to a hunting club on air travel with firearms and international travel for hunting. I do these presentatins frequently for clubs. Anyway the club offered me a weekend of hunting on the property they own and lease. I wandered off the first day and saw a few pigs but they were too far or too small. The rest of the guys when off on ATV's with dogs. I did not want the hunt with dogs. I felt a little rude at the momment being in their "place" and not joining in with the hunt the way they do it. The care taker who was an older fella suggested to me that I head up the ridge and eventually I would come to a flat which had a pond. He claimed there were frequently hogs there but that he had not been up there in years. He also mentioned that the ATV's cannot get up that hill ao the hogs like it there.

Sounded good to me so Off I went and spent the morning and afternoon there. The pond was low and there hog sign thick. Now and then I could hear dogs barking and ATVs racing. I sat against a tree glad I chose this plan. Some hogs eventually trotted by but had no interest in the water. none were big and there were babies in the mix. They went further up the ridge and I could see them rooting and hear them in the blanket of dry leaves. While pre-occupied with these hogs I see out the corner of my eye another couple hogs trailing up the first group. The last hog had visible teeth and was 2 times the size of the others. I looked at him through the scope of the 30/06 and made a squeek sound with my lips. He stopped dead, for a split second and then trotted away. He was quartering away with no other options and was quickly shot. At that instant he reared up on his hind legs and ran forward about 20 yards or so(hard to measure) on his back legs! He dropped to all four feet and I gave him another. Then he fell dead where you see him pictured.

It was only after I cleaned the skull and removed the teeth that I decided to see just how big he was. I'm an official scorrer for SCI so I got out my most recent copy of the records and checked the measurement against the ones entered. It was good enoough for #19 in the USA and the biggest ever entered from Tennessee. He kinda looked big but I had no idea he was that big!

It's the first animal I have ever entered into a record book in my whole career. Unfortunately I cannot get the music from deliverence out of my head now.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)