This is a really great thread! And seems like a great site.

Since the OP suggested this will help Newbs, maybe I could get some advice.

I have a desire to turkey hunt. I've never done it before and don't know squat. I used to hunt deer and loved it. I had a quite a few good experiences with it and grew up doing it with my Cousins and Uncles. However, I had some health challenges and am just getting strength back. Anyways, Turkey is something I can eat regularly and I thought it might be a good way to make inroads back into hunting.

Anyways, I have 2 shotguns. Well, now 3 but one is a .410. I don't think either one would work unless I modify. I have a mossy 12 Gauge with a Smoothbore slug barrel and an Ithaca 12 gauge with a 26" barrel that has modified choke integral. That one is also only a 2-3/4". That one seems like the best bet but I'm thinking not enough choke. Is it not?

So I have a couple of options, get a different barrel for the Mossy, or a get a new one. Or use the Ithaca if that's "good enough".

I've been looking at 20's because I wouldn't mind getting something that gets the job done with the least amount of pain. I've never been into recoil and I'm lighter now than I used to be and not as strong. Trying to find the balancing act or best of both worlds of a not so heavy to lug around gun with the least amount of recoil that will work. hehehehehehe. Lot to ask for eh? Anyways, I was thinking a 20 Semi with a choke. Maybe the Mossberg SP20? Or an 11-87? I don't really like the mossberg 500 I have, it doesn't really fit real well. I actually like the Ithaca better fit wise.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for the help. And thank you guys for the info posted already.