GrosVentreGeorge: The CORRECT answer to your pre-64 Winchester Model 70 vintage scope question is: the exquisite Leupold 8 power Westerner!
I have 3 of these scopes myself.
Two of them are on vintage Varminters and the third is in such MINT perfect condition that someday I will trade it back to the Leupold folks for a big variable Varmint scope!
Anyway these Leupold "Westerners" were straight 8 power scopes with an excellent adjustable objective system!
I believe it was one of the first factory "Hunting" scopes to have the adjustable objective system!
I have owned, shot and Hunted with these scopes on pre-64 Winchester Model 70 Rifles in calibers 22 Hornet, 220 Swift, 257 Roberts and then a bit later on a 243 Winchester (Varmint Model).
Even with extended continual use of this Westerner scope (Prairie Dog Hunting!) on the brighest of days "eye fatigue" (eye strain) for me was NEVER encountered! This is a significantly impressive comment on the quality of those American made lenses!
These scopes are about 1/2 century old now and very few modern scopes compare to them for the crystal like clarity of their images!
Long live Leupold & Stevens!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy