CT,

I have been gifted, or cursed, as the case may be, with an overactive gift of logic. smile

I have also been blessed to have played with a ALOT of different rifles and chamberings over the years. And I currently own a multitude of dies for anything that might come along.

From this experience and the aformentioned blessing of logic comes the following conclusions:

The 8x57 Mauser will handily take any game animal in N.A. (With the possible exception of Ursa Major !)... (A game animal I have NO intention of picking a fight with, YMMV) If one wants an improvement over that there is the 8x60; for which factory ammo and brass are available. (scarce, truly, but available, nonetheless...) There is also the 8mm/06, As I'm sure you're aware. Dies are relatively common and brass is cheap.

Further: there is the 8mm/06 A.I.; for which dies are equally scarce and expensive.

I'm sure my "cave" can reveal a dozen or more rifles with a bore of 8mm. Thus, I have a bit of experience... smile The 8mm/06 that I owned breifly, kicked like a Missouri mule. And I didn't keep it long. smile Dies and brass made their exit at the same time, as I vowed never to own another.

I currently have two rifles at the 'smiths being rechambered to 8x60 and have one 8mm/06. (Not to mention a .325WSM and an 8mm Rem Mag...) I have seen Sellier & Bellot factory ammo in 8x63 of which I assume is the same as 8mm/06. (Wish I'd bought it... frown )

Re: the 8x57 Imp; One can build one, but dies are very expensive (i.e: CUSTOM) and very scarce. Also resale value is minimal for both rifle and dies... Thus: the only reason to build one is merely to have something different. (A concept I am not totally unfamilar with.) smile

Therefore: I have presented my case for LOGIC. When it comes to WANT, Logic just flies out the window! smile

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"