Originally Posted by Idared
ColdBore

I have refrained from posting here because of the lack of interest to the majority for military actions but decided to anyway. My rule of thumb as to the value of the VZ-24 action would be as follows. This is asuming it is not pitted on the outside of the receiver.

If the receiver has been drilled and taped, the bolt altered for a scope and has a safety that is compatible with a scope, and providing the work done on it has been nicely done, I myself would be willing to pay as much as I would for a Remington 700 action. If it has some really nice add-ons such as an after market trigger installed, a model 70 type safety or a hinged floorpate on a milled steel triggerguard I would be inclined to pay more than a 700 action.

What I am saying is, I myself would rather have a rifle built from an action similair to the VZ-24 than most commercial actions of today in most standard length calibers. I wouldn't use one for any cartridge with an overall length of anything much shorter than a 7X57. In other words I wouldn't use one for cartridges with a length similair to a 22-250 or 243. As stated above the VZ-24s were among the best overall military Mausers made all things considered. But at the same time I do realize they aren't for everyone.

VZ-24's are a good action to build on. Idared covered it very well.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB