Originally Posted by shinbone
Hi All,

I see that the Durango & Silverton narrow gauge railroad will make flagstops to board and de-board backpackers, fisherman, etc., at a few trailheads along the line. Backpackers are allowed one pack for $10, and other gear is carried as paid-for freight.

The Durango & Silverton Railroad traverses some pretty rugged and inaccessible country. It seems the Railroad flagstops could offer a relatively easy way for a non-horse person to access some roadless backcountry for a DIY backpack elk hunt, with the train doing most of the hard work of humping the gear into the wilderness. The backpack hunter need only flagstop the train at one of the trailheads, and hike a few miles from the train to set up camp. Just reverse the process at the end of the hunt.

I know of at least one outfitter which uses the train to carry hunters to the trailhead of one of their drop camps, so it seems the train has some experience dealing with hunters.

Anyone ever done this?

--shinbone

The best way to hunt archery goat in unit G5 is to start out from the D&S train (G5 is archery only). I went with my buddy in the late 80's--but I'll be darned if I can remember what the train stop at the trailhead is called.....it's hell getting old. Most goat hunters use the train--It's a blast bringing down the meat, head, cape and skin to the train stop after 4-5 days in the hills......amongst all the tourists grin

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.