Hi All,

I am considering picking up a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless (6.2 lbs w/o scope) or Laminated Stainless (7 lbs w/o scope) for my girlfriend for elk hunting. I want to be sure to get a caliber that she can shoot without the recoil being a problem for her, but will still be effective on cow elk (i.e. no monster-sized bulls will be harvested with this gun) at 300yds max, with shots more likely limited to 200 yds. We will be hunting elk in the Colorado mountains.

My little lady is athletic, average height and build at 5'7" and 130lbs, and currently shoots about 500 rounds of 20ga shotgun a year (so she does have some experience with recoil). I wouldn't call her recoil sensitive, but she is not recoil immune, either. Of course, once we get a rifle for her, she will also be putting in trigger time with it, too. I can say without a doubt that she has absolutely no interest in shooting my Kimber Montana .300 WSM.

Of the calibers that the Tikka T3 models I am considering are available in, it appears that the 25-06 and the 6.5x55 Swede would be the most appropriate for her to use on cow elk.

I know some will have the urge to suggest better calibers for the stated application (i.e. low recoil and effective on cow elk at medium ranges) than the 25-06 or the 6.5x55 Swede (the .257 Roberts springs to mind), however, I am set on these Tikka T3 models, so the only caliber options I can consider are the ones they come in. (Part of the purpose of this purchase is an excuse for me to play with the highly recommended Tikka T3. *grin*).

Can anyone offer comments on how the recoil of the 25-05 compares to the 6.5x55 Swede??

TIA.

--shinbone