I use tang peep sights on all my Savage lever guns. I hunt elk, deer, antelope and coyotes with them. Most of the time, peep sights will work fine. Practice with them often, and you'll become proficient and gain confidence. You'd be surprised how accurate you can become with them at 30-30 ranges once you've learned to trust them. As stated earlier in this thread, low light conditions such as dawn, dusk or heavy dark timber can make seeing the ring, post and target difficult. There is no doubt that scopes have certain advantages over peeps in some hunting situations, so using a peep is more a choice for simplicity or aesthetics. I use them mostly for the satisfaction I get from hunting with my old Savages the way the original owner may have.

I wonder if, in the late 1800's and early 1900's, hunters used to compare peep sights and iron sights. Some guy may have said then that he preferred iron sights because of the simplicity. He may have also liked doing things the "old fashion way" instead of using those "new-fangled" peep sights.