pdxhunter, I have owned at least 4 .300 mags over the years and love the caliber for knock down killing ability and long range accuracy out to 450 yards. I draw the line on that distance for myself on animal.

Most of thoes rifles prefered 180 grain or 190 grain bullets! Yes, they did shoot the 165 ok (1.5 avg. MOA at 100 yds) as I recall. The 200 grains shot better, those being Hornady, Sierra, Nosler's and Speer. I tried the Barnes X bullet but only one rifle would shoot those 180 grainers less than 2-MOA. Remington factory ammo was used in the 180 grn and shot under 1.5 MOA.
Winchester Silver Tips in 220 grain shot around 1.5 MOA in all guns at 100 yds.

Darn near all of them did shoot the 220 grains very well up to around 200 yards....distance I picked to test them. All those rifles shot 220 bullets at least 1.5 or better. These would be my pick if hunting moose in grizz country.

I would start with a bullet weight your most likely to use on the game that you plan on hunting and then either purchase several boxes of various factory brands or pick out the bullets and let your friend load them up for you. This is the only way (trial & error) that you will know exactly what your rifle shoots best ok.

Last edited by NRA; 04/01/09.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN