Being a 50+ yr patient of back pain with two major back suregery/fusions.I can offer some related advice. I'm no doctor or expert.

Diet ain't going to help you if you have a pinched nerve,herniated discs or the like. Exersize will, if you can strengthen the back muscles,but it won't help your problem much.
When you load your spinal column unevenly,expect trouble.

You most likely have a condition where a nerve is very close to being impinged on. There probably is inflamation which causes swelling which in turn then impinges on the nerve. Arthritus settles in as we age and the spurs and inflammtion developed from that also irratates the nerves and reduces the space that the nerves take up.Once you enter the realm of pains shooting down your leg ,vs an aching back,you enter a whole new dimension

Chiropratic manipulation and message will releive the pain to some extent,but won't heal the condition.It will give the inflamation a chance to subside and thereby relieve that particular incidence,but it will reappear the next time you do something you should not.

All that being said, I would opt for a lighter CCW. There are quite a few out there in the 15-18 oz class. Certainly not the optimum choice for self defnse, but better than a sharp stick. A fanny pack would serve better in the T-shirt condition, with one that is specifically made for CCW carry.That would center the weight. A shoulder holster inside a suit jcaket might work better than a WB carry, taking and redistributing the weight more evenly. A firearm that is under powered,but you carry, is better than one you leave home because it is uncomfortable to carry.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles