Kutenay--

The 10+15x50 Duovid is a very fine piece of equipment. It is a little heavy for general hunting, however--in short, a big honking binocular. I am also of the mind that 15x hand-held is not nearly as efficient as some folks might imagine. It probably needs a tripod to really take advantage of the high X's. At least that's my opinion, after having used several 15x (and owning one, a Minox 15x56). They work great from a vehicle or tripod, but in the field the slightes vibration tends to nullify the extra X's.

This is the reason I have the 8+12x42, which I've found to be a great all-arounder. It weighs 34 ounces, somewhat heavier than many 8x and 10x glasses these days, but when you want to glass EVERYTHING it cannot be beat.

The 8x42 Ultravid is also a nifty piece of glass, lighter than the older Leicas but still with that solid feel. I have gotten a look inside, thanks to my friends at Leica, and believe the solid feel will translate into the hunting field. The optics, of course, are second to none. For straight 8x it cannot be beat.

JB