teal:

But then again, when we are halfway thru a home project, we don't pause with a hammer in our hand for a photo op, and declare "this project is over" and later say, "anyone who doesn't like our project, come try to kick it over". That's why he can't do it.

Now, what he should have done (probably too late now anyway), and didn't and won't, is sit down in a "fireside" chat with the American people and say something to the effect of, "We were attacked on 9/11, as a result I attacked the bases of the people who attacked us in Afghanistan hoping to capture or kill OBL. I then chose to attack Iraq base on intelligence that has since proven to be mostly incorrect. In that action, I was wrong and I deeply regret that my actions have cost American lives, but they died for a just cause, the defense of America. I truly believed that I was acting in the best interests of the US. We are now engaged in a war that I would prefer not to be in, but we have removed one of the world's worst dictators and did negate the possibility that he might have harmed us in the future. We must now try to stabilize Iraq. In order to do that, we must send more troops." (BTW, my small effort at speech writing above doesn't mean I would believe all of that tripe, but it would have made him a man of respect.)

He should have done that, it might have cost him the election, but he would have my respect. As is, he is a lying POS and I sure as hell hope he pays for it in November.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq