Shot is the same wether it's loaded in a 12 or a 20. The only difference is in how well they pattern and the initial velocity of the load. And, frankly, that can vary alot with the loads you use. A #6 Remington might pattern better or worse than a #6 Federal.
The other thing is where the center of the pattern is. I've seen some loads that put 3/4 of their pattern above the point of aim. Or even 2/3's below the point of aim. Again, different brands will shoot at differently.
So pattern your gun with your hunting ammo.
It's the shot in the bird that kills it. I've shot wild, 2 1/2 lb. pheasants with 7 1/2's very dead. I've also used #4 on big hybred birds that flushed at a distance late in the season. Big difference as to range, penetrating power and size/weight of the bird. A 2 1/2 lb. bird is far smaller and easier to kill with small shot than a 5-6 lb. hybred going straight away from you.
BTW, I'm also of the belief that an extra heavy magnum load can lead to bad shooting simply due to recoil. Particularly in a light gun. The only thing I'd use any magnum loads on would be waterfowl with steel shot. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 05/02/09.