From Jerome of AH:

I have finally been in contact with my friend Charl Watts in South Africa of Steyn Caracal Safaris, who confirmed the rumor that his brother, Gideon Watts had been severely injured in an incident that occurred while hunting Cape Buffalo in South Africa.

Gideon, although a PH himself, was on the hunt not as the guiding PH, the client wounded the Buffalo and they were tracking it. The Buffalo first attacked the PH guiding the hunt (his name has not been given to me) while in a dense area, he was gored suffering wounds in both buttocks and has several broken ribs. While the Buffalo was on top of the PH, Gideon shot the Buffalo in the head, however he missed the brain. The Buffalo then turned on Gideon and attacked him, goring him several times (fist sized holes) in the front thighs, hamstring and just missing the arteries. The PH finally shot and killed the raging Buffalo while he was still attacking Gideon.

Both PHs are being treated for infection with strong antibiotics, but will be fine and are recuperating which will take several months... Surprisingly both of them are now out of the hospital already, as this incident took place only a week and a half ago, just a testament to how tough these guys are. There had been some concerns about Gideons' leg, though doctors now seem to feel that it will heal completely which is incredibly good news as I am sure he will be back in the bush hunting as soon as he is able.

I will say from personal observation that African PHs, especially those born and raised in Africa are shockingly resilient and almost superhuman in the way that can respond to and recover from bodily harm, whether from outside forces or self inflicted...

Our thoughts and prayers are with them.

Karamojo Bill

When I die, I want to come skidding through the pearly gates & hear God say, "Whoa Boy, That was one hell of a ride"