I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 with the Off Road package. It came from the factory with 17" tires and wheels on the truck, but it also came with a 16" spare.
I am considering buying a set ot 16" wheels for the truck in order to expand my tire options and get away from the high dollar 17" tires.
My problem is that some of the tire/wheel places tell me that there isn't enough clearance for the front brake calipers to go from the 17" to the 16", while others say they will fit. None of them have the wheels I want in stock and unfortunately the place that says they will fit is not a distributer for the band of wheel I have my eyes on. I would sure hate to order the wheels and then have them not fit the truck.
The 16" spare fits the turck, but I don't know if the wheel is specifically designed to have enough clearance or if there is a difference in clearance between a stock steel wheel and a cast wheel.
Does anyone have any first hand experience with this type of swap or know of anyone who has tried it.
Thanks,
Droptine