Hi � long time lurker, new poster. I posted this on another Firearms forum so if you read it on the highroad I appoligize.

I found a 1959 Winchester Model 70 in 270. It is safe queen clean - like SUPER clean. trigger feels great, stock is in great shape (no cracks, etc.) blueing is SUPER deep, etc.

I've read the "post war" M70s don't have the "quality" of the really early ones. Is that just collectors hogwash or is there something I should look for? the guy is asking nearly $1K so I don't want to rush in - that�s a lot of money. I do realize that some Pre 64 M70s go upwards of $2K - I know they have value.

Man it shoulders nice.

It has a rubber "checked" type recoil pad - looks factory, but after looking I'm guessing the other owner put it on (says Winchester on it) - looks similar to an old Pachmyer recoil pad.

No front site (never had one) - rear site had a flat spot for it, but it was never installed - nothing was brazed to it. Doesn't say Supergrade on the mag plate (I looked because it had no sites) - it has a 24" barrel.

The wood is nice - it's not super fancy, but the checking is pretty sharp. Everything feels solid about it - sn is 44XXXX and it came back late 58 - early 59 on my lookup.

Any thoughts on this or should I pull the trigger? I�m going to pull the barreled action today and check the date on the barrel to make sure it�s original. It does have a proof on the left side that matches the proof on the left side of the receiver.

Thanks,

Jeff