Bob, I read the article and it is quite interesting. None of our party have made a point of hunting black bear other than by looking for them as an incidental quarry. I was nearly at the point of trying them when the spring hunts were cancelled.

I have only tried eating bear meat once and was not too thrilled with it. How well it was prepared I'm not sure. I kind of hate to hunt for something I may not want to eat. I know from reading various threads here on the campfire that many people really like the meat. I can't make a proper judgment based on my limited experience.

Depending upon how we finally make out in getting a tag (see my reply to The Shootist) I may be looking for some alternative hunt this fall. When do you hunt for black bear? I know when the season opens (am assuming you are in unit 56 which opens Sept. 1st) but do you hunt at the beginning or a little later?

In any case I'll have to wait until the first of the week and till I hear from the rest of our party to find out what our plans are.

Your offer is certainly appreciated. Thanks,

Jim