The two rifles are actually different, even tho they are the same design. Just as Winchester changed the 86 to become the 71, Browning changed the 71 to become the 71 reissue.
Since Browning had the new 71s made on metric machines, they converted the design into the metric system, therefore a number of threaded parts will not interchange.
Personally, I find the Brownings to be very good rifles. They faithfully recall the balance of the Winchester 71s. For a seasoned levergunner, it is crucial for the weight and balance of the weapon to be between the hands. Muzzle heavy, or butt heavy weapons will simply not mount or swing with the required speed and fluidity. Browning got it very right here.
Second, accuracy-accuracy need not be 1/4 moa to be effective, yet the Browning reissues have made their reputation as accurate and sometimes MORE accurate than the Winchesters. The right load can result in 1-1.5 moa.
In terms of action, the nod will go to the hand fitted action of the original Winchester gunsmiths. In time, and with proper lube, the Browning will get smoother-but it will never slide like butter on a hot day.
The triggers on the Brownings tend toward the heavy side, yet they are crisp, without stacking or gritty catches before release.
All in all, the Browning is a sound rifle, just keep in mind that is a Winchester more in spirit than in reality.
I would not refer to them as clunky, rather, I think they are a worthy addition to the 71 line.