Originally Posted by BasicBeer
Originally Posted by aalf

Unless you're buying 5000 rds. for prairie dogs.......

Yeah...but doing the kind of case prep being talked about here on 5k pieces of brass...I'd rather spend the money. Call me lazy if you want, I don't care, it's true. smile

If you aren't worried about case prep, whatever's cheapest.

Ah, but I do, do all the case prep. Flash holes, primer pockets, and turn the necks. All my 223's are Rock tubes chambered with a tight necked and zero freebored PT&G reamer. Each one has it's own dedicated 1000 rds. I buy Lapua for all the other guns I have that they make brass for, but not for the high volume PD guns.

An interesting little experiment. We were going to have a cash match with factory guns so I bought 100 pieces of Lapua, detailed them and worked up a load with 52 grain Bergers. Try as I might, I could't get the match loads to equal my varmint loads with Win. brass and Ballistic Tips.

Back to the original question.

My accuracy load consists of Win brass, yes detailed, Rem 7 1/2's, a max load of Accurate 2230, and moly plated Ballistic Tips seated into the lands. It'll give you 3750-3850 depending on the length and speed of the barrel.

A 223 is a round that's not hard to find a good load for.

With componants being a little tough to find, your accuracy loads might be made with whatever you can get your hands on.