About eight years ago I swapped a shotgun for a pre-AE Trapper .30/30. It was freckled with a bit of rust on the receiver; was told that is quite common for that era of Winchester.

Guess I ruined it by having a Wild West Guns scout base on it which required D&T on bbl. Also had the LOP shortened to 12-in. because it was for my oldest's 1st deer rifle and we wanted to use a red dot on it.

He's since gone to a .260 and now a .270, and I got the thing out of the safe the other day where it has mouldered for a few years.

The receiver is now quite funky and the elevation/ladder thingy that goes under the rear sight has departed; hits a bit low at 50 yards.

It is a handy little rascal, though...

Reckon first step is getting the elevation/ladder replaced, then get at the rust.

Kinda thinking about getting the receiver and other parts blasted then hard chromed to make a poor man's Legendary Lawman kinda deal. Perhaps find a larger loop lever.

May even be a New Age cowboy and put an Aimpoint Micro T1 on it for fun.

Anybody made up something like that? Suggestions on someone to do the hard chrome in Tennessee area? Other finish suggestions?

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]