In a previous thread on elk bullets I saw no mention of this either but what about cast bullets? I mean home-cast, not store bought. One that I've been experimenting with in my GG & 45/70 Highwall (both 1 to 20" twist) is Lyman 457121 (+/- 475 grs.). It functions flawlessly through the lever action. There are however two significant problems I have/am worked/working through. Problem 1)Though it's called "457..." it isn't. In a soft alloy it casts out from about .451 -.454 or so. Lyman is actually marketing it to Whitworth muzzleloader people. The black powder "kick" will make it bump up and fill the rifling and shoot well. Not knowing this I loaded them with some smokeless powder and every 5th or 6th shot keyholed. Not enough "bump up" even with a fairly soft alloy. When I did my internet homework and actually measured my bullets I switched to black powder (50 grs. of 3F) and the problem went away and I got decent groups through my Highwall. I've now loaded some duplex loads with 5 grs. of SR4759 and 44 grs. of 3F. I haven't gone to the range yet with these but I expect a good outcome. Problem 2) That BIG bullet takes up ALOT of case capacity. That's why the loads sound so wimpy and I'm trying the duplex loads for more velocity. I'm a little reluctant to run these through the GG just because of the supposed blowback of BP into the action and the cleaning chore that might represent. In my Highwall the blowback was not significant at all. Also, BP cleans up easier than I ever thought it would once I started with Mike Venturino's formula. (That's a 28 oz. bottle Windex w/ VINEGAR into a gallon jug and topped off w/ water.) So, if they work well in the Highwall I'll be trying them in the GG. I'm also thinking of trying something like IMR4227 for a "kick" from a powder that's faster burning than the medium burn rifle powders. I am also going to try straight linotype to get a bigger bullet that might not keyhole with smokeless. Incidentally, I ALWAYS place C F Ventures wax gas checks under my cast bullets in rifles w/ very happy results. Any direction from a contributor would be appreciated. Anyhow, it appears to me that a .45 caliber, 475 grain flat nosed bullet even at BP velocities ought to work at woods ranges on moose or elk or the kudu on the game ranches by my house.