Originally Posted by Sitka deer
AJ
See, there you go, differences of opinion on how it works... wink

I use bottom clearance only and have never had an issue. I have fixed problems repeatedly caused by forward clearance...the lug had worked itself "looser" and would not return 100% aft after each shot. Palpable increase in recoil...
art

Thanks Art!

Having never bedded an action, my questions are far to basic i'm sure, thank you for putting up with them!

I am thinking that I can make it a very snug fit front and back, as the action just has to osculate, it makes sense. But that indexing tab on a Savage just has to go it seems, As a front and back flush-fit, it would bind.

I do have another idea, has anyone ever tried a softer type of bedding in the front of the lug?

Before there were other products available for horses hooves, we used RTV-Silicon gasket materials with a little regular bondo hardner mixed in to make them cure faster and set up harder. Now we use dental impression material, it sets up, but dose have some give.

The question...

Would bedding the front of the lug with something that would act as a vibration damper and cut down on the forward osculations be of a benefit?

I fully expect that this might not be an improvement in group size of a particulate worked up hand-load, but could it cut down the differences in point of impact between one size bullet to the next?

Clinging to my God, and my guns!