Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
The VGL was the deluxe version with a wood stock.

Slight correction; The VGL (Vanguard "Light") was the lightweight 20" carbine version of the full sized VGS (Vanguard Standard) 24" gun. Both had satin finished wood and metal work. The VGX was the deluxe version of the VGS with upgraded glossy wood with rosewood forend and grip caps and bright blueing. The Fiberguard was the synthetic version of the VGL with black or green fiberglass stocks (I think they were McMillan). The VGL and Fiberguards were available in .243, .308, .270, .30-06 & 7mm Rem Mag. The full sized rifles chambered these plus .22/250, .300 Win Mag & .338 Win Mag. In the early '90s these were all discontinued and replaced with the Vanguard Classics I & II and the Weatherguard which used the cheap azzed Ramline stock instead of the very nice fiberglass stocks of the Fiberguards. The 7mm-08 & .270 Wby & .300 Wby were added when they made the transition. All barrels were 24" from then on.
The first gun shop I worked at from '86 - '95 was a huge Weatherby dealer and the VGLs & Fiberguards were our biggest sellers and we were shocked when they discontinued the 20" guns. Turned out that they sold well ONLY in the South where we hunt primarily in tree stands where a short rifle is appreciated and were pretty much dead throughout the rest of the country.