I have a 96/22WMR/17HMR (1 receiver 2 barrels) and both will do a 1" to 1 1/2" 5 shot groups at 50 yards with the 3x9x40 Simons Diamond Scope, but I can do 1 5/8" to 2" at 50 yards with my Marlin 1894M with stock open sights.

Their is some things I really like about the 96, way it grabs the case to feed allowing even upside down feeding, the rotary magazine, the lever swings are short and extremely smooth.

One reason for Ruger poor accuracy I believe is the V-block that holds the barrel in place on the 96, 10, and 77 models. Great for selling after market barrels for consumer replacement, but even with fine replacement barrels available they still can't shoot like a T/C, CZ, Kimber or even Marlins and Savage. I have a early model T/C 22 LR Sporter and it has never been out shot by a Ruger with the slip fit barrels. That includes a relatives 10/22 that he has spent about $1200 on, maybe more, to make it accurate.

All that said the Ruger is accurate enough for hunting and is my favorite of the two for hunting.

At the age of 18 when I joined the US Military I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic, that oath did not end with my retirement.