I used my Remington 700 Classic 6.5 x 55 to shoot a cow elk several years ago.

It was a longer shot (370 yards), but the 140 Barnes X bullets I was using performed very well.

If memory serves, I was using the max, or almost max amount of IMR 4350 powder, with Federal 210 primers in once fired Norma brass. I didn't have access to a chrony in those days, but accuracy was 5 shots into less than an inch at 200 yards. And felt recoil was very similar to that of the factory Norma load with their 139 gr bullet. (Barnes Number One manual lists 45.0 gr of IMR 4350 as max. @ 2850 fps, but does not give the barrel length of rifle used in testing, and the Number 4 manual does not list for the 140 gr).

I also shot moose, deer and stone sheep with that rifle (all under 200 yards), and performance was excellent. Quick clean kills, with very little trailing required. Most animals fell within sight...less than 40 yards from where shot.

I am really liking the Nosler AccuBond bullets, and find that they are giving me the most consistent accuracy in all of my rifles, from 270 to 375 caliber. And when I do recover a bullet from game, the weight retention is 96-97%. And the wound channels are exactly as I would expect.

Use your 6.5 with confidence and enjoy the fruits of your labour!